Monday, May 17, 2010

About me...

About me...
I am a Visual Artist.... and discovered this, early in life from my constant practice of Art. It was my preferred communication before learning a vocabulary maybe that goes for all Artists’?Taking classes at Arts Schools, studying Life Drawing, Still life and repeated V.C.E Art and Studio Art for the love of it, Twice before year 12 was finished.I was 13 when I sold my first Art work in a local Gallery in Castlemaine; it was an Ink drawing of a face melting off and throughout the picture.Continued group shows with my school and co-curated the '98 Fringe festival showing of 'The Gunge Gallery'.At 16 was introduced to M.U.D, Melbourne Underground Development...where i began to apply my skills to large scale Decor'e for massive Rave Parties. This 'new' way of displaying and 'giving' Art to the masses appealed to me because the Audience wasn’t 'Exclusive' in any way, it seemed like a lot less fuss to 'Show' my Art, no 33 and a 3rd percent commissions...and I was getting payed to produce Art.After a long time (4 years give or take) making Decor'/ Art, I found i began to loose my 'style as an Artist and lost sight of my own Artistic development.I had a few Group Shows and 'Mind a Maze' exhibitions-13 day and night long Art, Performance, Music bonanzas, sold some works and continued to 're-build' my 'style again, as an Artist. Had a few private sales working on commissions, Portraiture and commercial Murals.Yet again i sought 'More' within The Arts Industry...My Ability in The Visual Arts has extended to Animation, being an Arts worker-working Council paid Arts projects, The Performing Arts and 'Behind the scenes' of Theater with: prop making, scenic design/Painting, Pyrotechnics, Costume design/making, Character design and Mask making. I have experienced the above in different Theater Companies, Production Crews, and Festivals mainly in the East and F.N.Q regions of Australia.Previous, to current study of the B/A in Creative Arts Industries course here at Victoria uni- i was also employed as an Artist/Painter for Voodoo Productions. In those 5 years we created and designed many wonderful and strange Art installations/Atmospheres for: Corporate Functions, Themed parties, The Big Day Out/Music festival, Werribee Zoo....are some of situations we have created for.Why do i study and not continue to work as an Artist? - What sort of Artist do i want to be?In this VERY brief out line of what i have been doing it shows a lot of variation in workplace skill and experience but how can all this application of Art give me recognition? I am thinking Qualification can include all these skills and give me the credit to continue on a Professional level, as an Artist and where I can learn more about the inside facts of The Creative Arts Industry.

1 comment:

  1. Is there any documentation of your work with Voodoo Productions? I still have a fantastic painting of his, done in his style of compressing paint layers. Never seen anything else like it.

    I think getting qualified is a great step for you. Remember to use your time in there for what you want, and not just to finish assignments. You have libraries, tools, experienced people at your fingertips. I didn't realise that I could make anything of my time there until my last year...

    ReplyDelete